From my garden to my table – Warm beetroot salad.

18 Jan

beetroot harvestOne of the redeeming features of living in suburbia is a big garden.

I always dreamed of having a vegetable patch, not because I’m adept at farm husbandry nor even possess a particularly green thumb, but because I wanted to teach my kids about where food comes from.

Thus far our lettuces have been prodigious and our spring onions have certainly sprung. Our truss tomatoes are also worthy of a special mention as there is nary a day that we can’t harvest a luscious, sweet fruit from the vine.

beetroot harvest I’ve had my eye on the beets for what feels like months……the leaves were fab and green, then died, then grew again, and the beets themselves, well…… they’re organic.

I was expecting greater things from my first round of beetroot. My Dad said to pull them when they were the size of snooker balls, but they sort of stopped at an assortment of testicles and eyeballs. I kept hoping for another growth spurt, alas, I think they’d done all they were gonna.

I shuffled a few around in vain hope that they would do something spectular but thus far they’re looking sad, with the leaves lying down and resting (not dead, resting).

This is one of my favorite salads of all time. It’s super easy, quick and tasty and spectularly good for you. I would like to add at this juncture that it also make a fascinating talking point for potty training toddlers, because it is most startling to a novice.beetroot salad ingredients

I admit that I usually make a much larger amount than this but my yield was a tad paltry.

Mess with the amounts to your taste. I like lots of nuts and tangy balsamic.

What you will need :

• one bunch of baby beets or a few large beetroots, leaves intact, washed.
  • a small handful of walnuts
  • a chunk of fetta, add to taste (I’ve used sheeps this time but whatever tickles you)
  • a splash of olive oil
  • a splash of balsamic, or a squeeze of lemon juice
  • salt and pepper

beetroot salad
What you need to do :

Preheat oven to 180C

Wash beets and remove, but save, the leafy tops. Wrap beets in foil and place in hot oven for about 30 minutes (depending on size. These took only 15 minutes. Give them a poke and if they yield , they’re ready).

When cooked take out of oven and leave to cool. Take off foil and slide the skins off with a firm thumb.Discard skin and foil.
Chop beets into desired size.

If your beetroot is store bought, your leaves will need to be chopped a bit.
Mine were still little and tender.
Add olive oil to a large fry pan and toss in your leaves, stirring until just wilted.

Chuck in some balsamic or a squeeze of lemon juice. Add beets to pan. Break your walnuts up a little and toss them in, season and take off heat.
Crumble your fetta through, and voila!

Warm beetroot salad loves steak, pork, chicken or fish so it’s super versatile. Roast some potatoes, steam some beans and you are well on your way to food nirvana!

beetroot salad finished

About these ads

7 Responses to “From my garden to my table – Warm beetroot salad.”

1. thecookingchook January 18, 2013 at 8:23 am #

I absolutely adore roasted beetroot, but haven’t had the guts to try and roast them myself. Will definitely have to try this recipe – yum!

2. Bunny Eats Design January 18, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Ha! You had me at testicles and eyeballs. When we were kids my sister and I used to pull up a carrot every day to check if they were ready yet. Your salad looks lovely. The contrast between the white cheese and the gorgeous beets is awesome.

3. Joanna January 19, 2013 at 12:47 pm #

I make a similar salad, but also adding chopped roasted (still a bit warm) sweet potato and rocket/ spinach/ both. Its lovely and easy as the veges can go in the oven at the same time on the same tray and the friends who eat it think I am very clever. Which I am. Haven’t tried with balsamic though…eager to give that a whirl. xx

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys January 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

I really love sweet potato. I reckon it’s a totally under rated vege. I’ll toss some in next time for a variation on the theme. Indeed clever, my girl! Fancy schmancy salads are us ;-)

On 19/01/2013, at 12:47 PM, Keeping Up With The Holsbys

4. Roar Sweetly January 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

We’ve just constructed our raised garden bed this weekend and had a huge pile of soil and compost delivered from Flower Power. I am very excited about getting started. I have to say that I’m petrified of serving my kids beetroot….too many beige rugs in our house!

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys January 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

Ha! Yep, be afraid. Be very afraid!!

On 20/01/2013, at 1:21 PM, Keeping Up With The Holsbys

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Adieu, my sweet Summer…You were a tempestuous wench. | Keeping Up With The Holsbys - March 5, 2013

[...] Apparently I caused a bit of a stir when I likened their size to testicles, but if the shoe fits, right???? I used my teste-beets to creat a delish warm beet and fetta salad. It’s here. [...]