The Journey From Nappies to Undies……with a dash of bribery

3 Jan

20130103-074935.jpgIf you’re averse to poo stories, you should stop reading here, but let me at least say that this is a poo story that will have a happy ending.
Not all poo stories end so well, like that time in India that I thought it was safe to pass wind.

I’ve been very half-arsed about potty training D Man. I said I’d do it as soon as the weather warmed up, but summer was hot and cold and then raining, so we never really got consistent with pants off time.

We had a swazz on the potty here and there, and once there was an accidental nugget that even surprised him when he checked for a progress report.
Often, after a successful potty mission, he’d not want to go near the potty for days, almost freaked out by us throwing a part of him into the loo and flushing it away.

I’ve also noticed a shift in the way he feels about himself and his body.

My totally carefree little nudey angel has started to feel self-concious. It’s a bit sad.
It’s fair enough with the toilet business, no one has ever built a viewing platform in their toilet so ensure spectator comfort, but I’ve noticed his discomfort at other times too.
He’s become a bit shy about cruising around in the buff, especially if there are other people in the house, and he really, really REALLY doesn’t want his super-hot 20-year-old nanny to change his nappy.
No way, man.
He’s aware that nappies are not sexy.

I do not for one moment profess to be a parenting expert. In fact, I generally make it up as I go along and figure as long as I’m not intentionally creating neurosis in my soon-to-be adults, then I’m doing ok…….except it appears that perhaps I have unwittingly created a little ‘issue’ in my boy. I’ll get to that in a minute.

Now that D Man is T minus 5 days until DAYCARE, I decided I really needed to get serious about this potty business.

In the grand scheme of teaching little ones to use the throne, I think we’re about average for boys. D man is 2 and 8 months, and I know many boys that trained earlier, and I know many boys that trained later. I’m not fussed on what ‘everybody’ did because I knew that until now D Man hasn’t been totally ready, hence the minor success, then no luck for days.

Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is this – WE’RE WINNING!

I’d heard of people having success with bribery reward charts, so I thought I’d do us up a big old D MAN’S POTTY STICKER FABULOUSNESS chart. Points for wee wee, no points for my grammar, but he don’t care.
He gets rewarded by stickers for number 1s and when the ones add up to 5, he gets a small $2 present. When he does that 4 times through, he gets a big present.

A number 2 is an instant chocolate treat……but to be honest, we haven’t quite got there yet. There seems to be some reticence in that area. I’m not stressing but I’m finding myself singing the praises of scat (not to be confused with jazz scatting) after discovering that D Man is a bit embarrassed about the aroma of his expulsions.
We may, or may not, have made light-hearted jokes about needing a gas mask to change stinky pants, and I think our sensitive little soul is now self-conscious about something his father takes great pride in.
I tried to explain that everyone is a bit smelly, and it’s natural. I said I’m smelly, Nana is smelly and Oma is smelly too…..he earnestly looked at me is asked -

Peppa Pig?

I don’t think you all need a blow by blow breakdown of accidents, successes, stickers and presents, but I thought I’d write this in case anyone actually gives a shit that my little man is now, except for nights (anyone got advice on that?) out of nappies and in the cutest little jockey shorts you’ve ever seen.
Also, there is a possibility that you are training your little person and this post may revolutionise your life!

One kid down, one to go.

Hallefrickenlujah.

About these ads

17 Responses to “The Journey From Nappies to Undies……with a dash of bribery”

1. Helen R January 3, 2013 at 8:07 am #

currently half arsedly training Alice. Sticker chart didn’t work as she loses the plot if she can’t have the whole sticker sheet at once. Just lots of cheering when successful. Congrats on Dex! I can’t wait to be done with nappies.

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys January 3, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Hi Helen! Seasons greetings to you all.

Do you use nappyland NSW for nappy delivery? Cheaper than supermarket and to the door. Getting them delivered is one small grace in a world of poo!!

On 03/01/2013, at 8:07 AM, Keeping Up With The Holsbys

2. dirtyrottenparenting January 3, 2013 at 8:12 am #

We gave up on the sticker chart for child # 1 and went the way of the candy treat. I guess we should start in on training child #2 she is well over 2 years now. Meh, maybe next month.

3. Mumabulous January 3, 2013 at 8:26 am #

I would give my girls a lolly everytime we had a successful toilet splash down. Consequently they are on the chubby side. My eldest soon became to smart for me and learned to work the system. At age 2.5 she filled the plastic potty with water and told me she had peed. I gave her a lolly simply for the ingenuity.

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys January 3, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Very entrepreneurial!! I started with lollies but soon realized there would be many, many lollies before we were done!

On 03/01/2013, at 8:26 AM, Keeping Up With The Holsbys

4. rabidlittlehippy January 3, 2013 at 9:56 am #

We’ve just got our daughter into daytime knickies (her word) and our eldest (4 last August) into jocks day and night. He only just fully trained daytime a few months ago (simply wasn’t ready). My darling daughter who has just turned 3, had her first entirely dry day yesterday but has yet to deposit a poo in the loo. We’re loving the proud announcements of “I did a wee!” though as she’s using the toilet and totally self sufficient with it! Win!
    As for nighttime training, he trained himself. After 2-3 weeks of consistently dry nappies we suggested he go to bed in jocks. He declined that night but after thinking about it the next day he was comfortable giving it a go. We’ve had 2 accidents in about 2 weeks. Thank goodness for the warm weather as I can wash the sheets and pillow (yes, he has managed to wet everything) and have them dry for bed that evening. Good luck with your continued success.

5. empressnasigoreng January 3, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Excellent! Fortunately both of my kids poo trained relatively early. My big struggle was night training Mr Lazy who really couldn’t see the point of getting out of his nice warm bed in the morning when he could just as easily wee in his nappy. He was 4 (!!!) before we really cracked it. What finally did the trick was a family holiday to Singapore and Malaysia and having to wear uncomfortable Asian nappies. That made him decide that maybe getting up to go to the toilet was really not so bad after all.

6. Mrs D January 3, 2013 at 11:26 am #

I had a musical potty for my 2 boys – different tunes for 1′s & 2′s – was the best thing I had ever purchased…Good luck with it! :D

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys January 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

I might have a look online…. I like the idea of a poo serenade!

On 03/01/2013, at 11:26 AM, Keeping Up With The Holsbys

7. Kate January 3, 2013 at 11:47 am #

We are also training and having great success. We also said screw what everyone else is doing and waited for out little man to be super keen to start. Also roughly 2 and 8 months. This is a bit gross and I found it harder than his Dad but has he followed you into the loo while you do number 2? That way they know everyone has to have a little sit and everyone stinks.
    A real winner was eating an ice cream cone on the potty, again a bit gross, but it gave him the idea that he needed to wait a bit, it kept him on the potty. Being a very busy boy makes sitting still a bit tricky. (His Nanny, grandmother not baby sitter, figured that one out).
    Best of luck to everyone.

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys January 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

I haven’t had a toilet break in 2.5 yrs… He’s always got his head there checking out what’s going on!!! Again, hubby draws the line at an audience but I don’t care.

Ice cream is a great idea. I’ll try it! Bribery all the way!!!

On 03/01/2013, at 11:48 AM, Keeping Up With The Holsbys

8. larva225 January 3, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Thank you!! We’re about to embark on this journey ourselves. I’ve never even housebroken a dog before. I know you’re not supposed to swat your kids with rolled-up newspapers. Otherwise, I feel grossly unprepared and full of dread.

9. shutterflies January 4, 2013 at 8:58 am #

We did chocolates. Obviously Mummy got one every time she went for a wee too.

10. phamily31 January 4, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

I used the “big girl” chart as well! It was a great success. Instead of toys or candy we let our daughter pick where she wanted to eat after 2 weeks of doing great. :)

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys January 4, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

That’s cool too…..probably ends up costing about the same. Keep that up my sleeve for round two i a year or so!