Helloooooooo my old friend, Spring. What To Do, What To Do?

2 Sep

Interestingly enough, the first day of Spring is surprisingly, eye-wateringly, butt freezingly chilly. Nevertheless, my spirits will not be broken because the sun shone bright, for the morning at least.

So, here it is. The new list. Remember that this list is to make me push myself to achieve things I may have never done before, but have always wanted to. It’s like a bucket list, I guess, except I ain’t planning on kicking a bucket anytime soon.

Without further ado, I give you, my peeps, the Spring To Do List.

1. Homemade Baked Beans

Beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you have ammunition against your trumpy bum husband. Mister H is Dutch and my second question on our first date is if the Dutch call a ‘Dutch Oven’ a Dutch Oven…….no, they call it farting under the blanket.
I love baked beans, especially smokey, ham hockey tricked up ones, so that is what I have my sights set on this Spring. Good for breakfast, good for lunch, and hell, I’m not even opposed to them for dinner.

2. Make Ricotta

I’d secretly like to make a big, stinky wheel of Blue Brie, but I think I’ll keep it realistic and aim for the easiest of the curd family. I love ricotta. You can eat it straight, stick it on or in pancakes, bake it, stuff cannelloni. Not sure what I’ll do with this one when I’ve achieved said feat, but I’m sure it’ll be delicious.

3. BBQ A Whole Fish

Initially, I was determined not to learn how to turn on the BBQ so it would remain Mister H’s sole responsibility. That lasted about two weeks……now the BBq and I are buddies. I’ve never tackled a whole fish, however, I’ve seen it done, and I’m not scared. My instinct says snapper, because I’m comfortable with that, but maybe that means I need to push it to something I’m not comfortable with???? All shall be revealed……mwah, ha, ha……..

4. Make Vietnamese Spring Rolls

Rice paper rolls are yummy, and surprisingly easy. If you’ve ever rolled a joint, you’ll be all over it, and if you haven’t, it’s a great way to learn. This must be on the list because it actually has spring in the title.

5. Grow My Own Vegetables

One of the reasons I wanted to move into a house was because I desperately wanted a vege patch…..well, it’s been nearly one whole year and still I have nothing more than some herbs, and to be honest, they’re struggling.
If I don’t get my vege garden built and planted in the next few weeks, I’ll be sticking some tomatoes in a pot. I want to grow thing with my boy. I want him to know where food comes from, and see it grow, little by little, into something we can eat.

6. Cook A Rabbit

I apologise in advance to my bunny loving friends, but I’ve always wanted to cook with a rabbit. I’ve eaten it only a handful of times but I think I should just give it a go once. A nice rich ragout, silky pasta and a glass of red. We can talk in Italian accents and pretend we’re peasants. Bellisima!

7. Make Mini-Cheesecakes

Mrs Wilson used to make me delectable little cheesecakes that were to die for. Yeah, I miss her, but I really miss her cheesecakes. I’ve never actually made a baked cheesecake in my life. How hard can it be? Then I’ll have an entire batch to eat too. Bring that shizzle on.

8. A Backyard Picnic With Friends

Nothing, but nothing, says Spring like a picnic! I love picnics. Admittedly, they were more relaxing before toddlerville, when i could neck a bottle if champers and not have to watch out for anyone taking a bite directly from the cheese wheel. D Man is into everything within hands reach and a picnic is no exception, but I’m imagining a rug under our South Australian Honey Myrtle in the garden and everyone talking like the Great Gatsby……in reality I realise it’ll be more like a fly swatting extrava-ma-ganza, but I like to be optimistic.

9. Cook American Style Ribs

Homemade Hurricane’s. Need I say more?

10. Make My Own Bloody Croissants

I’m going into Spring with a sense of zeal. I reckon this season will be my season…….

About these ads

14 Responses to “Helloooooooo my old friend, Spring. What To Do, What To Do?”

1. Bunny Eats Design September 2, 2012 at 7:27 am #

I love your list apart from #6. Just saying to The Koala that I would never cook a rabbit, but I’m sure they’re delicious. Tofu is right here, lucky he doesn’t speak Human. I haven’t decided what cheese I am making yet. A soft one for sure, but which one? I haven’t even looked into whether to rennet or not. I have never made baked beans, cheesecake or croissant either. Yum.

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys September 3, 2012 at 7:56 am #

I did know that that one would not be popular in your house. Please don’t tell Tofu. I’d hate it to affect our relationship.

2. diannegray September 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

You got me at Spring Rolls (love those fresh ones!)

3. memyselfandkids September 3, 2012 at 5:45 am #

Going the other way here – headed into fall. Enjoy your springtime activitites.

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys September 3, 2012 at 7:57 am #

Fall is a gorgeous time of year……as I get older I think I like the ‘mid’ seasons the best. I used to be all about summer, but it can get a bit intense and sticky here.

• memyselfandkids September 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

I’m with you on the mid seasons but Summer does have a special appeal.
        I am looking forward to seeing the leaves change colors.

4. Flamingo Dancer September 3, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

I am always amazed by people who make cheese, as it seems so earthy and yet exotic at the same time. I love cheese, especially brie or camembert.

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys September 4, 2012 at 6:35 am #

I’d love to be that adventurous! Ricotta is really just separating curds and whey, like Little Miss Muffet!!

5. westendmaw September 4, 2012 at 5:48 am #

We’re heading into autumn here but one thing I want to make (and soon!) is cassoulet which I suppose is kind of baked bean-esque but more suited to a cold autumn day (or a winter day if it takes me a while to get round to it…)
    I’ll be looking forward to seeing how the list goes, there’s lots of good stuff on there!

6. spotcleanfood September 4, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Great list! All admirable goals.

Oh, I do love rabbit. I remember the first time, I kept thinking “it really tastes like rabbit”–small, delicate, but built for speed. Adorable and delicious.

Ricotta is ridiculously easy. I can’t have it anymore, but when I could, it was way too tempting to whip up a batch every time I bought a jug of milk. Enjoy.

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys September 5, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

Why can’t you have ricotta? I know it’s really easy….it’s practically cheating in the cheese making stakes but it sounds impressive, right?
      Have you cooked a wabbit?
      Any tips?

• spotcleanfood September 5, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

Casein allergy, sadly no more dairy for me. But yes, brag like crazy when you make your own ricotta. Make 2 batches, one for yourself and one to show off for friends. It’s sooo good.

I haven’t cooked a rabbit in a while, because I moved to Singapore and they don’t have them here. Frogs, yes–rabbits, no. But I do remember that they were very easy to overcook. Those fast little muscles toughen up pretty quickly. Get a pan really, really hot and quickly sear, then lower the heat and braise slowly in whatever delicious sauce you choose.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Helloooooooo my old friend, Spring. What To Do, What To Do? « thenewmommy - September 6, 2012

[...] my old friend, Spring. What To Do, What To Do? by midwestwritergal on September 6, 2012 Helloooooooo my old friend, Spring. What To Do, What To Do?. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like [...]