Big Energy for Little Kickers – Pepita, Cranberry Anzac Slice

28 Aug

Little Kickers has fast become D Man and my favourite activity of the week.
He is surely less than amazing at it – I think he struggles with his concentration. I can really notice that, although he’s the same size as the others, he’s indeed one of the youngest and therefore the most likely to vague out (gets that from his dear ol’ Ma), but you know what?
I get filled with great joy watching him and his little mates trip over and bumble around in their red and white uniforms.
Every single goal may as well be the World Cup to us proud folks on the sidelines.

The dudes who run the class are seriously the most patient men on Earth. They don’t use strong voices, lose their cool, or kick anyone ever.
It’s a miracle, really, as some of them give them a run for their money……D Man included.

D Man’s new soccer buddy is Eli. The second they met it was instant friendship, which rocks because Eli’s mum is pretty cool and we shoot the breeze while the lads hang out.
Eli’s mum taught me the joys of peanut butter and grated carrot sandwiches…..where the hell have I been on that one?
They’re good. Give it a crack if it’s not already in your repertoire.

As good as that combo may be, it’s not as good as this combo of traditional Anzac flavours made even better by my jazz hands….not even close.
I was accused recently of writing ‘healthy’ at the beginning of my baking titles to trick y’all into baking more and fattening up, presumably. I totally resemble that accusation.
Well, this ain’t healthy…….but, it does have heaps of healthy things in it. Oats are low G.I. and awesome for energy, and pepitas and cranberries are great for you and tasty to boot.

Yield: 24

You will need :

• 1 1/4 cups plain flour
  • 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 160g butter, chopped
  • 2.5 tablespoons golden syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tablespoons boiling water
  • 1 cup cranberries
  • 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seed)

Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 3cm-deep, 19cm x 29cm (base) slice pan with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at long ends.

Combine flour, oats, sugar, pepitas, cranberries and coconut in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.

Place butter and syrup in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until smooth. Combine bicarbonate of soda and boiling water in a jug. Remove butter mixture from heat. Stir in bicarbonate of soda mixture. Add to flour mixture. Stir to combine.

Transfer to prepared pan. Using the back of a spoon, press mixture evenly into pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan. Cut into squares. Serve.

This was the perfect post football snack. D Man loved it. Eli didn’t rate it. Eli’s mum was stoked because she got to finish his as well as hers.
I’d call that a result.
Here are the chaps in action. Cute or what?

If you enjoyed this post, you should subscribe via email to ensure you can always keep up with the Holsbys

About these ads

10 Responses to “Big Energy for Little Kickers – Pepita, Cranberry Anzac Slice”

1. Fabulous Mommy August 28, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Holy moly they are cute. I could just eat them up. the recipe sounds good too. Looking forward to a time where the boys can eat stuff like this.

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys August 29, 2012 at 7:49 am #

it’ll be here before you know it, Beth…..it does make life more interesting, but I eat more of his food now!!

• Fabulous Mommy August 29, 2012 at 9:07 am #

All the better to make sure he eats things you enjoy. I am growing tired of soggy, half eaten things, bit I guess I’m going to be dustbin mommy for a long time to come.

2. Belinda Galbraith August 28, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Just made this recipe now. It was so yummy I nearly ate all of it before I cooked it!

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys August 29, 2012 at 7:48 am #

I know, right? A friend popped over when it was fresh from the oven and I gave half away…….I regretted it so much!

3. Mrs H August 30, 2012 at 6:37 am #

YUM. next up for baking in pyjamas weekly holiday fun. My son loves little kickers – all over the country mums must be cheering on chubby legged toddlers tapping balls into a net a metre back… Little H moving up to Mighty Kickers on Friday – same tight shirted Coach Luke though to keep us mums happy!

4. dearfriends September 1, 2012 at 9:59 am #

I’m so glad you stopped by my blog–when I backtracked to see yours, I found this amazing recipe for what I would “granola bars.” I have to try these–and wish that a child as endearing as yours would show up on my door step to to help me eat them. Your winter is ending and ours is about to start. Have fun with your little ones in the sunny climes of “down under.” Best, Barb

• Keeping Up With The Holsbys September 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Thanks Barb….just give me your address and I’ll pop the kids in the post. Good luck this winter!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Holsby Lunchbox Study | Heart Mama - February 28, 2013

[...] Steamed corn on the cob Carrot sticks Cheese cubes Wholemeal seeded crackers Sliced apple 1 piece of Pepita and Cranberry Anzac Slice [...]